General Counsel to the Maryland Troopers’ Association
Experience against more than 35 different agencies
Criminal and Civil Litigation
Trial and Appellate
Helping Injured Workers
One Case at a Time
Counsel on more than 250 appeals in State and Federal Courts
Multiple cases in the Supreme Court of the United States
The Latest From Our News Blog
Warnken, LLC’s workers’ compensation settlements for last month.
- Injury: Chronic PTSD and depressive disorder
- Body Part: Psychiatric
- Amount: $25,000.00
- Claimant experienced significant depression and PTSD after an exceedingly traumatic situation at work. He has permanent work restrictions and psychiatric conditions as a result of the incident and will require continued care. Claimant settled the case with open medicals.
- Injury: Asthma, Bronchospasm, allergic rhinitis
- Body Part: Lungs
- Amount: $18,750.00
- Claimant experienced respiratory illness after being exposed to mold at her workplace. Was unable to continue working with this employer due to increased symptoms with exposures. Workers’ compensation for mold problems is rare, but does happen.
- Injury: Labral tear and biceps tendon tear
- Body Part: Shoulder
- Amount: Between $4,000-5,000
- Claimant injured the right shoulder while lifting a heavy patient at work, requiring surgical repair of the injury. The value of shoulder cases in workers’ comp varies widely.
- Injury: Meniscal tear of the right knee; multiple scattered fractures of the foot and hind foot bones (Lisfranc fracture), sublaxation of the calcaneobuboid joint, and widening of the middle facet and subtalar joint.
- Body Part: Right foot and ankle, right knee
- Amount: slightly less than $35,000.00
- Claimant was injured after tripping and falling while on the job. Claimant underwent significant surgical repair following the injury. Claimant was able to return to work following the injury, but this injury involved significant permanency.
Of course, no two personal injury or workers’ comp cases are alike. Numerous factors go into determining the value of a particular case. Moreover, previous success does not guarantee success in a future case, even if the facts are very similar. Seek legal counsel. If you need assistance with a workers’ compensation claim, please start here.
Warnken, LLC Attorneys At Law
Warnken, LLC started more than 20 years ago. The senior member of the firm, Byron L. Warnken, Esq., has been an attorney for more than 35 years. He is also a full-time law professor at the University of Baltimore School of Law. Warnken teaches various criminal law related classes. In the past, he taught issues in law enforcement. From his classes, came his practice. In the beginning, being a scholar meant interesting specialty litigation at the appellate level. Things grew from there.
Warnken, LLC has handled more than 1300 criminal cases in more than 20 years of practice. This includes all phases of criminal litigation, including trial work and post-verdict work. Post-verdict means criminal appeals, post conviction, sentencing and other collateral review. Professor Byron L. Warnken teaches criminal law and constitutional criminal procedure. He is also the author of Maryland Criminal Procedure, a 1940-page three-volume treatise on the subject.
Warnken, LLC’s civil litigation practice handles personal injury cases and workers’ compensation appeals. However, through of-counsel relationships, we also handle truck accidents, negligence, wrongful death, catastrophic personal injury, medical malpractice, and other injuries or disputes.
Workers’ compensation is by far the fastest growing practice area at Warnken, LLC. Our comp practice is likely the fastest growing in the state. Warnken, LLC had less than 20 comp files at any given time a few years ago. Today there are more than 250.
Our comp practice grew from serving law enforcement. Being one of the most dangerous jobs, police officers and other public safety employees often need counsel for workplace injuries. In order to serve our existing clients, we gained the expertise.
For more than 15 years, Warnken, LLC has been general counsel to the Maryland Troopers Association. We handle administrative discipline, trial boards, disability retirement, grievances, and generally anything else active or retired law enforcement personnel face. We take great pride in the work.