General Counsel to the Maryland Troopers’ Association
Experience against more than 35 different agencies
Criminal and Civil Litigation
Trial and Appellate
Helping Injured Workers
One Case at a Time
Counsel on more than 250 appeals in State and Federal Courts
Multiple cases in the Supreme Court of the United States
The Latest From Our News Blog
Warnken, LLC welcomes attorney Matt Grogan to the firm. Grogan is fresh from his experience with the Hon. Elizabeth Bowen in the Circuit Court for Harford County. He took workers’ compensation with Commissioner Herwig and has known he was going to practice workers’ comp and personal injury for a number of years. Grogan formerly worked for another Baltimore workers’ compensation law firm. He is also the author of BaltimoreCompLawyer.com, a publication reviewing comp cases and the industry. We welcome Matt to the team.
A Sampling of our June Decisions and Settlements
- Injury: Rash caused by allergic reaction to chemicals
- Body Part: Skin
- Amount: $2,000.00
- Claimant developed an allergic reaction after working with chemicals in the lab at work. This caused a pre-existing skin condition to flare up, causing rash on her arms, chest, and face. She was able to resume work following her reaction.
- Injury: Cervical facet dysfunction with radiculopathy; lumbosacral facet dysfunction with radiculopathy; right elbow radial head fracture; right distal radius ulnar steroid fractured.
- Body Part: Neck, back, left arm
- Amount: $20,000.00
- Claimant fell 6 feet onto a concrete floor. Claimant had to change employment as a result of the fall. Claimant was able to reopen the workers’ comp claim for worsening to receive this additional compensation.
- Injury: Cervical strain; lumbar strain
- Body Part: Neck & Back
- Amount: <$5,000
- Claimant was injured when she stood from her desk and felt pain in her back and neck. Claimant had pre-existing back and neck complaints that were exacerbated by this occurrence.
- Injury: Post-Traumatic headaches
- Body Part: Head
- Amount: $3,500.00
- Claimant was injured when she was assaulted while at work and struck in the head. She was seen by a neurologist and her care was managed with medication. She was able to return to her pre-injury employment. She experienced a worsening of condition and was able to reopen her claim for this additional compensation.
- Injury: Fractured Back; fractured foot
- Body Part: Back and foot
- Amount: In excess of $80,000 of compensation + all medical treatment
- Claimant was injured after falling from a height of somewhere between 20 and 40 feet. The claim was contested by the employer/insurer. Warnken, LLC’s workers’ comp team prevailed on behalf of the claimant.
Warnken, LLC Attorneys At Law
Warnken, LLC started more than 20 years ago. The senior member of the firm, Byron L. Warnken, Esq., has been an attorney for more than 35 years. He is also a full-time law professor at the University of Baltimore School of Law. Warnken teaches various criminal law related classes. In the past, he taught issues in law enforcement. From his classes, came his practice. In the beginning, being a scholar meant interesting specialty litigation at the appellate level. Things grew from there.
Warnken, LLC has handled more than 1300 criminal cases in more than 20 years of practice. This includes all phases of criminal litigation, including trial work and post-verdict work. Post-verdict means criminal appeals, post conviction, sentencing and other collateral review. Professor Byron L. Warnken teaches criminal law and constitutional criminal procedure. He is also the author of Maryland Criminal Procedure, a 1940-page three-volume treatise on the subject.
Warnken, LLC’s civil litigation practice handles personal injury cases and workers’ compensation appeals. However, through of-counsel relationships, we also handle truck accidents, negligence, wrongful death, catastrophic personal injury, medical malpractice, and other injuries or disputes.
Workers’ compensation is by far the fastest growing practice area at Warnken, LLC. Our comp practice is likely the fastest growing in the state. Warnken, LLC had less than 20 comp files at any given time a few years ago. Today there are more than 250.
Our comp practice grew from serving law enforcement. Being one of the most dangerous jobs, police officers and other public safety employees often need counsel for workplace injuries. In order to serve our existing clients, we gained the expertise.
For more than 15 years, Warnken, LLC has been general counsel to the Maryland Troopers Association. We handle administrative discipline, trial boards, disability retirement, grievances, and generally anything else active or retired law enforcement personnel face. We take great pride in the work.